Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Classic Snickerdoodles

 I've made them once before going gluten free and I wasn't too thrilled with how they came out.  I don't know if it's just that I'm using a new recipe or if it's the fact I made them gluten free but this time they were delectable.  They're sweet and crispy from the rolled sugar with a warm spice from the cinnamon.  They're slightly crispy on the edges with a soft chewy center (the way every good cookie should be).  There is something about that warmth and sweetness that brings me back to being a kid.

Classic Snickerdoodles
Recipe adapted from Itsy Bitsy Foodies
Made Gluten Free by Jesicakes
Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies
Ingredients
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
Ingredients for Cinnamon Sugar
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon


Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
In a large bowl, mix the sorghum flour, brown rice flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar with a whisk.
Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer or with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix until they're fully incorporated.

Slowly add the flour mixture until complete incorporated.  Mix until dough comes together slightly.
Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, form ball about 1-1 1/2 inches in diameter.

In a wide bowl, mix together the sugar and the cinnamon.  Roll the dough so it's completely coated in cinnamon and sugar.
I do this process for the entire batch of dough before I start baking.  It gets the messy part of the Snickerdoodles out of the way so you don't need to be constantly washing your hands from the dough.  Also, I keep the plate of all the dough in the fridge while I bake up the other batches just to make sure it doesn't get too warm from the heat of the oven in the kitchen.
Bake for 11 minutes, turning half way, or until the edges are slightly golden browned.
Allow to cool for a minute on the tray and transfer to a rack to complete cooling.
Snickerdoodles, like most sugar cookies, taste good when they're fresh out of the oven, but even better once they've cooled off.  They stay well great.  If possible, I actually think they taste the best the second or third day.  They were all devoured after only 3 days in my house, but kept in an airtight container they stayed great.  I'd say they had at least another 2-3 days in them if not more. 
If you don't want the whole recipe at once, with these I'd bake them all up then freeze them right after they cool and they should stay fresh a few months.

3 comments:

  1. look delious!

    p.s

    I dined out at Christmas eve and stayed home all day long at Christmas.

    And at New year's day either.

    What did YOU do at Christmas and New year's day?

    have you been to the Times Square for new year celebration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas and New Year's were relatively low key for me this year...a very quite Christmas and New Years in Philadelphia with some friends.

      I have never been to Times Square...it doesn't really appeal to me as exciting as it seems. I'm claustrophobic and I hate the cold, which really doesn't leave much else to desire.

      Delete
  2. thanks for take the time and put all the instruction and everything!

    ReplyDelete