Follow Me on Pinterest Instagram
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Graham Crackers


One of my favourite snacks when I was a kid was cinnamon sugar graham crackers.  I especially loved them on a chilly night with a nice hot cup of black tea to dip them in.  The reason I wanted to make grahams today was to crumble them up to make graham flour for S'mores Cookies I'm also making later today.  I was surprised to find that I only needed three of these graham crackers.  This turned out to be a wonderful surprise because these grahams are delicious! Not too sweet but rather that subtle sweetness from the honey with a little kiss of extra sweetness from the cinnamon sugar on top.  I could tell straight from the dough that as long as they baked right they'd be killer because the dough alone (egg free too!) was so delicious I was struggling to not just eat it raw.  I've never made any kind of graham cracker before so I got the recipe form Gluten Free Girl and stuck pretty closely to it.  And obviously, if you don't like cinnamon or want the added sugar, just leave off the step of sprinkling them with cinnamon sugar before baking.  So bake up the perfect Gluten Fee Cinnamon Sugar Graham Crackers, make some tea to dip them into, and relax and enjoy the day.

Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Graham Crackers
Recipe from Gluten Free Girl with minor changes
Makes 16 graham crackers
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sorghum flour*
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp brown rice flour*
- 1/3 cup - 1 tbsp tapioca flour*
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp sweet rice flour*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter just out of the fridge
- 1/4 cup mild flavored honey (I used pretty generic clove honey)
- 3-6 tbsp cold water
- Cinnamon sugar

*She does her baking by weight (something I'd really like to start doing just need to do more research and also save and buy a scale).  All of these flours come out to 2.5 ounces each.


- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Cut butter into small pieces (about 1/2 tbsp pieces).  Place the flour in a food processor.  Add the butter one piece at a time and pulse to combine.  Keep pulsing until all of the butter is incorporated.  The mix should have a sandy texture.
- Mix 3 tbsp of the cold water with the honey.  With the food processor running, add the honey mixture.  Keep it running until the dough forms a ball.  You can add the remaining tbsp of water one at a time if it is not coming together.
- Refrigerate the dough in plastic wrap for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F.
- After the 15 minutes, remove the dough from the fridge.  Cut the ball in half.
- Place the 1/2 in between two pieces of parchment and roll into a rectangle 1/4'' thick (it will be about the size of 1/2 a cookie sheet). Do the same with the other half of the dough.
- Cut in 8 pieces each, dust with cinnamon sugar mixture, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Using a fork, pierce wholes in each graham in a pattern.  Cut the parchment so it fits on a cookie sheet.  Place both batches on one cookie sheet.  
- Bake until golden brown and starting to harden.  About 15-20 minutes.  Turn halfway.  For me, I did 8, turned, another 8, turned, then another 2.  I think they could've used another two-four minutes though.  So my total bake time would be 20-22 minutes.
- Allow to cool 30 minutes until more hardened.  Then enjoy!  Or crumble them up to make a pie or cake with a graham crust or like the recipe I'll post later this week, use them as graham flour in a recipe for S'mores Cookies!


6 comments:

  1. Is there any way to print just the recipe. I don't want several pages just to get one page with the recipe alone.

    moonbeam@polarcomm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't as of yet...I'd just say copy & paste into a word doc for now. But that's a great idea I'm going to work on getting them up on all my pages!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Anonymous about printing just the recipe. That would be great. I don't need a picture of a food processor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A word/text doc and copying and pasting does wonders for that problem, anonymous, until I find the time to do through my nearly 50 posts and add them. Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  3. Try this! Hit file go to & hit print file. I try to shrink to 70%. I then go to page view 8 pages. It will show were the recipe is. It maybe 1 or 2 pages. Hit print type go to pages & put in 2-3 & print. Make sure your not on all pages. (page range)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I miss Graham Crackers! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete